REX Thoracic Surgical Specialists are experts in lung surgery. Many patients come to us for treatment of lung cancer, which is the most common form of cancer in the United States. Other patients rely on us to treat infection, fluid around a lung or an injury, for example. We receive on-going training on the latest treatments available, so we can bring them here to our patients living in the greater Wake County, N.C., area.
The thoracic surgeons at UNC REX Healthcare are skilled in all types of lung surgery. Usually, we can perform surgery using advanced tools and techniques that allow us to use only small cuts, or incisions, instead of traditional surgery. We also use advanced tools and 3-dimensional video cameras to assist us with some of the most precise surgery possible anywhere.
Hear from our patients: Diagnosed with lung cancer at an early age, Renee found incredible support and care from her team at Rex ThoracicSurgical Specialists.
Common Conditions and Surgeries
Common reasons for lung surgery include:
- To treat cancer, including lung cancer
- To treat or prevent a collapsed lung caused by injury or disease
- To remove unusual tissue or tissue that is damaged from disease
- To remove blood and blood clots
- To remove infection
- To stop the build-up of fluid in the chest cavity
Some common lung surgeries are:
- Biopsy: removal of part of a lung, part of the pleural lining (the lining around the lung), or a growth.
- Removal of a portion of the lung, or wedge resection
- Removal of a lobe of the lung, or lobectomy
- Removal of an entire lung, or pneumonectomy. This is a rare procedure to treat some cancers.
If you need lung surgery, your physician will discuss your care with you and with your entire thoracic care team here at UNC REX Healthcare-plus REX Pulmonary (Lung) Specialists or any other specialists who are treating you.